Craving for something cool and delicious? Well, the time for ice-creams and chilled milk shakes is here. But do you fancy those hotel style cool Indian desserts such as Kesari Kulfi, mouth-watering Srikhand and much more?
Well! When we think of a perfect summer dessert our mind goes off to something bright, creamy and light recipe with full of flavours. Adding a rich flavour to desserts, make them more delicious and appealing. And what would be better than adding a few strands of Kesar for that exotic taste? From refreshing drinks to creamy desserts, Kesar is capable of adding a unique taste and that bright golden hue to most of the dishes.
Nevertheless, Kesar is one of the most famous and loved spices around the world. It is essentially used to intensify the flavour of the recipes, but is an excellent spice that holds natural properties to improve your health, wellness and beauty. Kesar is one such exquisite spice that is commonly used by simply soaking the Kesar/Saffron strands in hot water or milk for some time and is added just before the final cook.
Let’s check out some of the delectable Indian desserts, made with Kesar
- Kesar Mango Lassi
Mangoes are one of the most popular fruit, widely consumed and are loved by most of us. However, it can increase the heat of the body during summers, but if combined with curd it will create a cooling effect. Then why not try something different out of it? How about Mango Lassi? Mango Lassi is a refreshing and healthy summer drink made from fresh mangoes, almonds, Kesar and yogurt. Adding a dash of Kesar can improve the taste as well as will enhance the health quotient of the drink.
For Kesar Mango Lassi –
- Soak 4 strands of Upakarma Ayurveda Kesar in lukewarm water
- Take 2 cups of fresh mango pulp
- And add 2 cups of yogurt
- Now add 1/4th cup sugar
- Add ½ cup milk and water pre-soaked with Kesar
- Garnish the lassi with finely chopped almonds and Kesar strands
- Kesar Srikhand
One of the most delicious and simple dinner sweet that can be made with easily available ingredients – yogurt, sugar, cardamom and Kesar. This thick and flavoured creamy recipe is one of the scrumptious delights you can ever have during summers. It is golden combination with minimal ingredients, where each flavour complements the other. Adding Kesar can give that perfect colour and flavour to your recipe. Moreover, the medicinal benefits of this prestigious spice cannot be ignored. It even helps to improve digestion, mood, promote sleep, enhance vision and makes your skin and hair look nourished and beautiful.
For Srikhand –
- Soak 2-4 strands of Upakarma Ayurveda Kesar in lukewarm milk for a while.
- Now add 1 big bowl of thick hung curd
- Now pour the saffron milk mixture
- Add 1/4th of powdered sugar (or as per your taste)
- Add ½ teaspoon of cardamom powder
- Mix it well with a whisk, until smooth and creamy. Transfer into a serving bowl and garnish with diced dry fruits of your choice and few Kesar/Saffron strands to make it look more appealing and colourful.
- Kesar Thandai
One of the perfect drinks during summers. Kesar Thandai is a refreshing summer drink with lots of cashews, almonds, milk, sugar, rose water, and full of spices such as cardamom, fennel seeds, cinnamon and last but not the least Kesar which adds a subtly earthy and savoury flavour. This rich crunchy and creamy drink is packed with good health, including the best of the power boosting ingredients with a balanced flavour of Indian spices and nuts.
For Kesar Thandai –
- Soak 2-4 Upakarma Ayurveda Kesar strands in lukewarm milk for a while
- Take 2 cups of boiled milk
- 1/4th cup almonds
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (khas khas)
- 7-8 white peppercorns (kali mirch)
- ½ cup sugar (or as per your taste)
- Let the boiled milk cool completely. Meanwhile, make a fine powder of almonds, cardamom, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, white peppercorns and sugar.
- Now mix the fine powder in milk and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Strain the mixture through sieve and add Kesar milk. Mix well and your Kesar Thandai is ready with an extra punch of flavours.
- Dry Fruit Kesar Kulfi
Dry fruit Kesar Kulfi reminds us of those good old school days, when dry fruit Kulfi was the “must have” in summers after school. Kulfi is another most popular and traditional Indian dessert which looks more sort of an ice cream however, it is creamier and loaded with dry fruits and flavoured with Kesar/Saffron, which makes it even more luscious. Kesar added in Kulfi can add on to its colour and taste along with incredible health and beauty benefits.
For Dry fruit Kesar Kulfi –
- Soak 2-4 Kesar strands in lukewarm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cornflour, full cream milk and sugar in a pan and cook it on low flame, until it becomes thick
- Now add Kesar/Saffron soaked milk and ½ teaspoon cardamom powder and dry fruits (cashews, pistachios and resins) of your choice.
- Mix well and let it cool down.
- Transfer it into kulfi moulds, cover them with aluminium foils and insert ice cream sticks. Freeze for 6-7 hours.
- Carefully pull out the Kulfi and serve immediately.
You can try out any of these simple and easy recipes with Pure Kesar/Saffron for that intense delightful flavour for every occasion. From children to adults, these recipes are loved by everyone and are even easy to make at home for a family get together or a grand festival celebration.