Everyone experiences an upset stomach and indigestion from time to time after eating or drinking. Consuming unhealthy foods for longer periods of time is one of the primary reasons for gastrointestinal distress like constipation, stomach pain, diarrhoea, nausea and slow digestion. These conditions generally should not raise an eyebrow and be cause for concern.
When certain conditions cause abdominal discomfort, one can try to reduce the pain by using various home remedies for stomach pain and upset stomach. Thankfully, it is generally possible to treat these symptoms using natural remedies for stomach pain. There is more than one way to relieve an upset stomach and these methods are completely natural. These natural ways to relieve an upset stomach are gentle and inexpensive, and most importantly, these ingredients are easily available in your kitchen.
Ayurveda believes that if the internal digestive fire is strong, a person can digest both mental and physical food effectively. If the digestive fire is weak, one would experience irregularity in digestion. This makes sense because if the digestive fire isn’t strong enough to digest physical food, it shouldn’t be able to digest emotions and thoughts well either.
It is a tall order, and most of us experience some toxic build-up which leads to blocked channels in the body and imbalances in our health. Ayurveda prescribes a simpler food-based home cleanse that offers many of the resetting and rejuvenating benefits of home remedies for stomach pain.
- Avoiding or skipping snacks is the best way to reset one’s digestion, remove toxins, and even lose weight. This does not translate to starving oneself. If one is hungry, have warm, cooked foods that use rice porridge, steamed or stir-fried veggies, etc. One must remember and ensure that your digestion will work best if you give it at least five to six hours between meals. It is one of the simplest home remedies for gastric problems. Nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain are three of the main symptoms of gastric problems that cause discomfort to many people. These symptoms can be caused by a plethora of problems ranging from benign to serious.
- One of the best home remedies for indigestion is drinking water. It is always good to stay hydrated as it helps keep the body strong and healthy. It prevents many diseases that arise because of various problems that the body has to face every day. Hence, water keeps the bowels running smoothly. When you suffer from diarrhoea or constipation, be sure to take a glass of warm water with one teaspoon of table salt to soothe gastrointestinal distress.
- Ayurveda has proved many centuries back that ginger is a herb that acts as a natural anti-emetic. Digestion is supported by Ginger, by soothing stomach pain and easing the symptoms of inflammation. The strong anti-inflammatory properties of ginger root settle the stomach, helps with nausea, and aids indigestion. The best way to use ginger for this purpose is when it is fresh in the form of tea.
- Looking for home remedies for gas in the stomach? Natural Aloe Vera juice is one of the most effective remedies to treat an upset stomach. It works exceptionally well on gas problems, heartburn, indigestion, sour stomach and bloating. Consuming this drink helps in soothing the stomach lining and also strengthens the digestive system.
- Turmeric is used for treating digestive issues due to the presence of curcumin. Turmeric has been referred to as a good remedy for digestive problems in traditional Ayurvedic and Chinese medical scripts. In modern times, WHO has approved the use of the active ingredient of turmeric (curcumin) to heal acid reflux and gas.
- Probiotics are actually the most effective method of treating diarrhoea which takes place after taking antibiotics. They are really wonderful in healing gastrointestinal distress which occurs due to having large amounts of bacteria when you take antibiotics. The reason why it works so great is that it is a great way of strengthening the barriers in your gut that help protect you from bacteria.
- Mint is another commonly used traditional treatment for indigestion, gas, and diarrhoea. Mint leaves in the raw or cooked form are both suitable for consumption. Ayurveda recommends boiling of mint leaves with cardamom to prepare a refreshing cup of tea. It is also possible to powder or extract the juice of mint leaves and mix them with other teas, beverages, or foods.
Wondering how to get rid of stomach pain or what to do for stomach pain? Some simple stomach pain remedies which you can do instantly at home are –
- Drink water.
- Have ginger tea.
- Have mint & cardamom tea with a few drops of lemon.
- Take a warm bath.
- Avoid alcohol & smoke.
- Increase your cinnamon intake. Have cinnamon tea 2-3 times a day for stomach pain relief.
- Drink Aloe Vera juice.
- Drink coconut water. It is a natural drink that contains high levels of potassium and magnesium and is one of the best home remedies for stomach infections.
Besides following these remedies for stomach pain, if stomach-related issues still continue then you must professional help. Sometimes stomach problems can be a sign of serious digestive conditions. Although you can easily self-diagnose your upset stomach, indigestion or diarrhoea without having to see a doctor. But there are scenarios where it is a better idea to speak to a medical professional. The following should be enough to convince you that you should probably see a doctor if you are afflicted with –
- Persistent diarrhoea
- Bloody stool
- Chronic constipation
- Pain while urinating etc.